I’m so glad it’s warm here…I have been waiting for this weather. For me, I’ll take 70/80° weather anytime, even if it involves rain!
With summer time approaching finally in our neck of the woods or even changes of seasons there are always certain things I enjoy with my food more. For spring, there is something about green salads. Green salads incorporating fruits, asparagus. Summer- anything with fresh basil, fresh lime or lime juice, corn on the cob, avocados, salmon, anything fresh out of the garden. Fall- apples, squash, soups. Winter- still soups, fresh rosemary, roasts. My lists could go on, but not to say I wouldn’t eat any of these during other seasons. (Such a random thought).
I found this recipe while on the search for dinner from a fabulous website called Two Peas & Their Pod. It is super delicious and I love pesto recipe ( which I have linked to their sauce recipe in the ingredients). How could you not love fresh basil & fresh mozzarella on top of fresh pesto and then wrapped in a panko parmesan crumb???
Mozzarella Pesto Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Yield: Serves 4
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
Salt and pepper, for seasoning chicken
3/4 cup basil pesto Basil Pesto (or use store-bought pesto)
8 ounces sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, flatten each chicken breast to about a 1/4 inch.
3. Spread 3 tablespoons pesto onto each chicken breast; top each with mozzarella cheese, about 2 ounces of cheese per breast. Carefully roll up the chicken and secure with toothpicks.
4. Place the beaten eggs in a pie plate or shallow dish. In a medium bowl, combine panko crumbs, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Dip each chicken breast in the eggs and then into the panko parmesan mixture. Make sure the breasts are well coated. Discard any extra mixture. Place chicken on the prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake 40-45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center and the chicken is golden brown. Serve warm.
Note-make sure you remove the toothpicks before eating.